Friday, December 18, 2009

December Rain



Been listening to a lot of John Lennon this week - next year will be the 30th anniversary of his death. Been thinking about how he was only 40 years old and how I can still remember fairly clearly sitting in front of the 6 o'clock news and it being talked about and at the same time my eldest brother, Joey, comes in the front door - BAWLING. So, lately I have been reading the Neil Gaiman "Sandman" graphic novels and I found an interesting connection between the last 2 novels and some Lennon lyrics from his song "God" off of his 1970 solo album "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band":


"I was the Dreamweaver but now I'm reborn/I was the walrus but now I'm John/and so dear friends you'll just have to carry on/the dream is over".

Without spoiling the novels for anyone who hasn't read them - these lyrics represent so many themes that have been swirling around and inside my head lately (renewal, rebirth, resurrection, reinvention), and how dreams are really the TANGIBLE objects that begin and end everything.




The first 45 I remember listening to when I was 4 years old (a couple years before Lennon was shot) after I quickly tired of Mother Goose's latest hit record was "I Am The Walrus". And I remember playing it over and over again thinking "Wow. Wow. Wow. This is the most amazing thing to listen to" and I remember imagery from a "music video" that I would see in my head whenever I played it on my little portable record player. It is still one of my favorite Beatles songs (and the b-side "Hello, Goodbye" is pretty fantastic as well).





Transmitted by Michael, voice of Hope.

0 Clever Lines:

Post a Comment